Did you know the average Americans leaves 2 vacation days unused according to this survey by Expedia®? Numerous studies have shown that vacations help lower stress and anxiety in addition to preventing burnout.
Now that the busy holiday season is over, it’s time to plan a relaxing mini-vacation to recharge for the new year. Sometimes we just need to get away, which is why we have made it easy for you and a guest to escape to the Oregon Coast this winter.
Yes, you read correctly, escape to the Oregon Coast this winter.
It’s a little known secret that the winter months are an optimal time to visit the Oregon coast. It’s less crowded, the fishing is great, the clam chowder is hot, storm watching is at it’s peak at Shore Acres State Park, and you could catch a glimpse of the whales migrating on their annual 6,000 mile journey to the warm waters of California. Here are some tips to get the most out your weekend getaway!
Before your trip:
1. Book our Winter Getaway Hotel Package (best value).
This special package includes a Deluxe Bayside Room, $40 Dining credit at any of our dining venues, and a Complimentary bottle of champagne or cider with souvenir toasting glasses. You and your guest will enjoy the stunning waterfront views of Coos Bay along with our comfortable hotel amenities. To book this special stay or find out what our rates are, call reservations at 800-953-4800, ext. 3
2. Sign up for the Mill Club
Mill Club members not only participate in our special casino promotions, they earn free play, discounts, meals, merchandise and invitations to exclusive special events. As a Mill Club member you’ll earn rewards every time you play your favorite table games and slots in our casino. Best of all, it’s free and easy. Here are just some of the promotions our Mill Club Members will enjoy this winter, visit our Casino Promotions page to see the entire list:
3. Create your own itinerary but leave room for a spontaneous adventures!
There is always something happening in the North Bend, Charleston and Coos Bay area. Oregon’s Adventure Coast has put together some sample itineraries to give you some ideas. We also recommend going to their Events Calendar to see what is happening in and around the community, and of course check the Mill Casino Events Calendar! Our nightclub, Warehouse 101, hosts Comedy Night every Wednesday and live music every Friday & Saturday night.
4. Pack the following:
- Workout clothes! Start the day with a vigorous working with a waterfront view in our fitness room located on the second floor of our Lodge.
- Bathing Suit. Enjoy our relaxing indoor pool and two hot tubs on the South End of our Lodge. The pool is complimentary for all guests. Towels are provided at the pool.
- Your Camera for winter storm watching and to capture all of the fond memories from your trip.
- Layers of clothing. Average winter temperatures range from mid/high 40’s to low 50’s during day to mid 30’s at night. Since the weather changes from hour to hour, we suggest packing layers of clothing such as t-shirts, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts hats, scarves, gloves, etc so you can be ready for anything.
- Casual “night-out clothes” for dining out and dancing the night away in Warehouse 101.
- Binoculars. These come in handy when you want to get a closer look the Pacific Ocean, and let’s not forget whale and bird watching!
- Sunscreen. If you plan to spend any time outdoors, please remember the UV rays from the sun still shine through, so it is important to protect your skin with sunscreen anything else you normally use to protect yourself from the sun.
- Comfortable walking shoes for overall use, flip-flops for the beach (in case it is warm enough) and good boots for hiking.
While you are here:
1. Check out all of your options in our dining venues. Ask about our specials! Here is a sample of some of our *current dining specials:
- The Saw Blade Buffet: Come hungry (and early) and fill your plate as often as you’d like with a bountiful selection of incredible entrees, hand-carved meats, succulent sides and delectable desserts at The Saw Blade Buffet. Open each Monday & Tuesday for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. The buffet is also open for special events and holidays. Click here to check schedule and details.
- Plank House Restaurant: Serving breakfast, luncheon specialties, and delicious dinners each Wednesday-Sunday (Closed Monday and Tuesday). Save room for dessert! Visit www.themillcasino.com/dining for details.
- Wine Discovery Evenings by the Bay: Get premium wines by the bottle up to 50% off at the Plank House and Whitecaps on Sunday evenings.
- $5 Drinks and Appetizers in Whitecaps from 4-6 pm every Wednesday and Thursday. www.themillcasino.com/dining.
- Early Bird Specials at The Plank House: Dine with us between 4 pm and 6 pm (Wednesday-Sunday) and choose from one of six delicious early dinner specials Each special includes our FREE daily dessert special.
- Happy Hour/Drink Specials: Warehouse 101 from 3 -6 PM Sun – Thurs.
- Warehouse 101 Game Time Entree Special: Wear any NFL, College Team or Mill Logo Shirt and get $2 off any entrée from our regular menu during any Football Game!
- Buy 1 Get one for 1.01 Lunch Special: Buy one Lunch Entrée and get the second for $1.01 at Warehouse 101 every Monday through Wednesday
*These dining specials are current as of January 2014 and subject to change without notice. Click here to see current dining specials.
2. Leave time for shopping in the many antique and specialty shops in North Bend, Coos Bay and Charleston. Be sure to stop in our own Ko-Kwel Gifts and check out our extensive selection of art and craft works created by Coquille Tribal artists and artisans. Handcrafted jewelry and beadwork, carved wood pieces, glassware and regional photography are among the many creations offered by Coquille Tribal members exclusively at Ko-Kwel Gifts. The shop also features a selection of jackets, sweaters and sweatshirts (always in season on the Oregon Coast) along with mementos and keepsakes.
3. Go for a stroll on our boardwalk. It’s lovely!
4. Go for a swim, a work-out, or relax in one of our outdoor hot-tubs overlooking Coos Bay.
Need more information? Contact us at 800.953.4800! We are here to help.