Our corporate plan states: Sustainability serves as a lens through which business decisions are examined. Sustainability is not the responsibility of one department or the task of a few select individuals. It can be viewed as the mandate of our time: “We are all part of the problem and we are its solution.” The Mill Casino•Hotel & RV Park puts that commitment into practice.
Keeping it Green at The Mill Casino·Hotel & RV Park
Recycling: Recycling reduced waste disposal by 47%. Here is what we recycled in 2010:
- Collected and returned 92,460 water bottles
- RV Park recycled 18 tons of co-mingled material
- Casino recycled 32 tons of co-mingled material
- 12 tons of glass bottles
- 288,000 lbs of cardboard and newsprint
- 3250 lbs of scrap metal
- 280 lbs of light bulbs
- 63,141 lbs of confidential documents destroyed and recycled
New Technology: As we continually seek out new sustainable ways to operate, we have:
- Increased electronic material recycling
- Converted to soy ink recyclable cartridges
- Upgraded to Energy Star 5.0 rated PCs and silver-rated monitors
- Employ exchangeable, recyclable batteries for PC backup power
- Purchase 11.4% of our electricity from renewable sources as a Visionary Partner of Pacific Power Blue Sky program
Kitchen Waste: The Mill’s kitchens also contribute to the green effort.
- Beginning in 2007, used cooking oils have been converted to biodiesel truck fuel
- In 2010 The Mill began a vermicomposting project. In the first year, the worm farm converted 1,100 pounds of green kitchen wasted into 35 gallons of compost leachate to fertilize flower beds and landscaping
Efficiency Efforts: By finding efficiencies, The Mill helps to save important resources.
- Using low-flow showerheads saves over 600,000 gallons of water each year
- Converting heating, cooling and kitchens to natural gas saves energy at a cost savings of $250,000 a year
- Scrap materials from all construction projects are recycled for future use